Have you ever felt uninspired and desperate for a fresh idea of what to post on social media?
Good news my friend! I’ve created the ultimate social media cheat sheet to solve this problem!
This cheat sheet is complete with 50 ideas of what to post on social media.
I’ve even created a nice little printable you can download and keep next to your computer. No more excuses – you always have a fresh idea right at your fingertips.
I’ve broken the post ideas into categories.
This will help you avoid posting the same type of content back-to-back.
If you download the free printable you can mark all over it and mix up the type of posts you make each week.
Ok, enough with the introduction that no one reads anyway. Let’s get right to the good stuff.
Who doesn’t love a quick, actionable tip or piece of advice?
Don’t forget to include a photo that will catch the reader’s eye and entice them to read, like, comment or share your tip.
- Efficient – Share a tip that will help your audience be more efficient.
- Save Money – Share a tip that will help your audience save money.
- Solve a Problem – Share a tip that will help your audience solve a problem.
PHOTOS & VIDEOS ENGAGE
Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you know that photos and videos increase engagement on social media.
Here are seven photo and video ideas to get you thinking outside the box.
- Inspirational Quote – Remember to select a quote that your audience will find inspiring and relates to your niche.
- Funny Meme or GIF – Try to find something that relates to your audience’s everyday problems.
- Short video tip – Overcome your fears of perfection and turn one of your quick tips into a short video. Take it one step further and do a Facebook live video! Download your video and repurpose it for your other social channels.
- Go behind the scenes –Share a photo or video of you at work. This could be in your office, on location for a project, or at a tradeshow or special event.
- Sneak peak – Give your audience a sneak peek at what you’re working on. Get them excited for what’s to come!
- Flat lay or styled image – The flat lay is HUGE on Instagram and you can flat lay damn near everything – it’s not just for food and fashion. (Insert Stock image of a flat lay)
- Video announcement – This can be as simple as announcing a new blog post you’ve been working hard on or as extravagant as a new product launch.
BE THE EXPERT
- Industry article – Share an article related to your niche topic or industry.
- Fun fact – Share a fun fact about your industry or niche. This could be a quote from a great article. Be sure to include the link!
- Infographic – Share in infograhic with helpful tips or information for your audience. Who doesn’t love a good infographic?
- Promote a national month holiday – Think, National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Download my free 2017 content planning calendar for ideas or check out the complete list of National Days from TrackMaven.
- Promote a national weekly holiday – Again, download my free 2017 content planning calendar for ideas or check out the complete list of National Days from TrackMaven.
- Find a trending hashtag – Remember the white and gold or blue and black dress debacle? Be creative and take advantage of trending topics and hashtags to grow your audience.
- Funny or viral video – Jump on YouTube and see what videos are trending. Make sure to include a teaser in your description that entices your audience to watch the video.
HASHTAG IT UP
There are thousands of popular hashtags you can use to increase the visibility of your posts. In fact, every single post you make on Twitter and Instagram should include at least one hashtag. I could write an entire post on hashtag research and how to find hashtags specific to your niche, but I’ll save that for another day. To get you started I’ve listed 14 popular and generic hashtags.
- #MondayBlues – Got a case of the Mondays? Share an update using #MondayBlues.
- #MotivationMonday – Post a motivational quote or story.
- #TransformationTuesday – Post a customer transformation story.
- #TeamOfOneTuesday – Ok, so this one isn’t popular…yet! Let’s help team of one marketers find one another and connect! Share what you love or hate about being a team of one marketer and use the hashtag: #TeamOfOneTuesday.
- #WisdomWednesday – Share the best advice you’ve received.
- #WomenToFollow – Share a profile of a strong woman you find inspiring.
- #ThrowBackThursday or #TBT – post an old photo.
- #ThankfulThursday – Share something you’re thankful for.
- #FollowFriday or #FF – Share a profile of someone your audience should follow.
- #TGIF – Share a photo of you relaxing and starting off the weekend.
- #ShopSmall – Share a small or local business you love.
- #SaturdaySelfie – Post a selfie of you enjoying your Saturday.
- #SelflessSunday – Encourage your followers to do something selfless today.
- #SundayBrunch – Post a photo of you enjoying brunch.
No, I’m not suggesting you play Oprah and give away a car to all of your followers.
Although that would be pretty kick-ass! I’m suggesting you give away your “secrets” to your audience.
- Favorite tool – Is there a tool or resource you can’t live without to do your job or run your business? Share it with your audience! Don’t forget to check if you can earn some affiliate cash by sharing that tool.
- Favorite book – What’s your favorite book related to your niche? Share a few takeaways or lessons you learned.
- Weekly roundup – Create a quick blog post of the best articles you read this week. Make sure they’re specific to your niche and then share the post on social media – driving them to your website!
- Favorite social profile – Who inspires and motivates you? Who do you learn from? Chances are your audience will love them as well. Share your favorite blogger, influencer or social profile.
- Recommendation – Share a product or service that will help your audience save time or money.
If you’re not promoting yourself then why are you bothering with social media?
Most experts recommend following the 80/20 rule. Meaning only 20% of your social media posts are promoting your own content, products or services.
Notice how I placed this section at the end and it comprises 20% of the 50 social media post ideas? There’s a method to my madness!
- New blog post – Share your latest blog post. Give your audience a teaser or what they’ll learn or what problem you’re solving in the post.
- Repurpose old content – Dust off an old blog post and update the images and headline – then share it with your audience.
- Share popular content – Take a look at the analytics from your website and social channels to identify your most popular content. Then, share it again! Chances are a large percent of your audience have never seen it.
- Free printable – Share a worksheet, checklist, cheat sheet or other printable your audience can download for free from your website.
- Free mini course – Announce a free email or video mini-course you’re offering. Drive traffic to your website and watch the subscribers pour in!
- Share a testimonial – Share a quote, case study or video from a satisfied customer. Give your audience some social proof to what you’re trying to sell.
- Promote your newsletter – Let your audience know what special information or goodies your newsletter subscribers get and encourage your audience to subscribe.
- Promote your other social channels – Hopefully, you’re not sharing the exact same thing on all your social channels. If that’s the case, let your audience know what new gems they’ll discover by connecting with you on your other channels.
- Conduct a contest – Encourage your audience to share your content with others. Track this by creating a unique hashtag. For example, whoever has the most posts with #FollowAngieGensler wins a free spot in my upcoming Pinterest course.
- Run a special – If you’re selling a product or service run a special. You don’t need an excuse to run specials, but it can help to run them around holidays. But, you don’t need to wait for Black Friday to run a special. You can run a special simply because it’s National Be a Millionaire Day (May 20).
Now it’s time to get posting and grow your tribe! If you’re feeling discouraged at the rate your social media audiences are growing check out my article, Perseverance, not perfection, is the key to success on social media.
What are some of your social media content ideas for 2018?