Marie Roker-Jones joins Angie on the podcast to talk about why diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) matter for businesses. Marie shares some tips on how to create a DEI culture within your own business.
Marie also talks about the hustle culture, the importance of self-care, and how to overcome imposter syndrome.
How to Listen to This Episode
To listen to this episode you can either play the video below or you can click here to download an MP3 of the episode directly to your device.
Big Ideas Inside This Episode
- Social impact is about how you contribute to making where you live a more sustainable environment and making the world a better place.
- To achieve greatness and feel a deep sense of purpose it’s important to look outside your own personal interests.
- Affinity bias hurts your ability as a business to serve your customers, clients, vendors, and suppliers.
- How to think about your customers through the lens of intersectionality to avoid missing out on reaching a group of your ideal customers.
- In this hustle culture, the more you keep pushing and giving out and not replenishing yourself, the less productive and effective you are.
- You can be so much more productive if you stop for a minute and say, “what do I need in this moment to feel good mentally, emotionally, and physically.”
- Overcome imposter syndrome by remembering that you’re not an imposter, you’re an outlier.
About Marie Roker-Jones:
Marie Roker-Jones is the co-Ceo of Essteem. Essteem organizes actionable programs, Equalithons (hackathons for equality), that help tech companies develop their sustainability strategies and create more socially, environmentally, and economically responsible workplace cultures that integrate CSR into their DEI hiring and retention goals.
Marie is a social impact startup founder with over ten years of experience in leading gender and racial diversity strategies. Marie also has workforce and career development experience creating workforce reentry programs for underrepresented communities through coalition building, employment readiness, networking opportunities, and community outreach.
How to Connect with Marie:
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: essteem.com
- Instagram: instagram.com/marierokerjones
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/marierokerjones
- Twitter: twitter.com/MarieRokJones
Leave a Review
If you liked this episode, please send me your review here. Your review helps me grow the show and reach more listeners!
Apply to Be on the Podcast
Would you like to be a guest on Worthy of Greatness? If you’re an expert in one of the following topics, I invite you to apply to be on the podcast:
- Mental health and mindset
- Business and entrepreneurship
- Physical health and wellness
- Spirituality and law of attraction
- Productivity and healthy habits
- Purpose and happiness
- Personal development and self-improvement
If your application is accepted, we will record an audio interview that will be sent to over 50,000 entrepreneurs. Not only will your expertise help others, but your business will get some massive exposure!